CYMT Summer update, May 2021
Spot the birthday cakes!
During the unexpected challenges and unbelievable realities we’ve all faced this past year, we are proud of everyone for collectively keeping calm and carrying on. Many students were able to maintain and enhance their skills and progression in online lessons at various stages, and our happy CYMT community was able to stay connected throughout this time.
The past 6 months have seen the Centre go from in-person workshops pre-Christmas 2020 to a New Year like no other, with another national lockdown meaning the Centre reverted to teaching online for the spring term.
SPRING TERM 2021
In January 2021 we started our brand new Music Starts Here programme for our youngest students aged 5, and concluded the project CYMT Young Composers 2020 for our older students, thanks to funding from The Michael Tippett Musical Foundation.
In February we were very happy to celebrate the Centre’s 7th birthday with a virtual birthday party on Zoom. It was great to watch Orchestra and see students/carers’ delicious-looking birthday cakes, some of which are dotted around this news/update. Thank you to all our bakers!
In March Guildhall Young Artists (GYA) launched “RELEASE” – a national composition competition for all students in GYA centres. We are eagerly awaiting news of regional finalists in the 4 categories of concert music, song-writing, music to picture, digital media. Overall winners will be announced at the end of June.
Our end of term virtual concert on 27 March proved very popular with music and drama pieces from students of all ages, including the world premiere of a piece called “The Violinist’s Bad Day” devised by the composition workshop led by Alison Powell with Eden Lonsdale, Composer In Residence. Another world premiere was “Bookshelf Mayhem” devised by Junior Singers’ drama project.
There were two more world premieres with “Winter Mystery” for solo flute composed by Megan, and “Picture gallery” composed by Senior Woodwind Group.
Other items in the concert included music by Bob Dylan, R Vaughan Williams, Gershwin, Boccherini, Jim Steinman, Ed Sheeran, Beethoven, Christina Perri, Pam Wedgwood, Martha Mier, Mark Foster, Karen Tanaka, Graham Lyons, and Børns. Jazz band concluded proceedings with “I can’t give you anything but love” by Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields.
SUMMER TERM 2021
We’re delighted that since 24 April we’re safely teaching and learning in person again at Richard Huish College, and it is wonderful to hear the students’ playing live.
Our exciting upcoming events are as follows:
- Saturday 19 June, visit to CYMT from a piano quartet from Guildhall School. CYMT students only, free admission.
- Monday 21 June, 5pm, CYMT Young Musicians’ Concert in the Victorian bandstand in Vivary Park, Taunton, as part of Make Music Day 2021. Free admission, all welcome.
- Wednesday 23 June, 5pm – Music Production Skills online webinar by Alex Lane, CYMT Tutor of Music Production. Free for all GYA network.
- Thursday 24 June, 5pm – Where Can Music Production Take Me? online webinar by Alex Lane, CYMT Tutor of Music Production. Free for all GYA network.
- Saturday 10 July, 1pm, CYMT Summer Term ends with a picnic-style concert (weather permitting) at Richard Huish College. Our very own CYMT-Fest! Free admission, all welcome.
- CYMT SUMMER HOLIDAY COURSE 2021, Monday 2 August to Friday 6 August, 9.30am to 4pm daily. An action-packed week of fun workshops in music, drama and much more for all 10-18s. Cost: £295 for the week per student; early-bird discount of £25 if payment is made by end May 2021. Please apply online at cymtaunton.org.uk/application.
I would like to thank all the CYMT staff team who have worked incredibly hard to provide lessons and group music-making whilst facing technical challenges this year. I would like to thank all the students for joining in with such enthusiasm and for their understanding in these difficult times. They too have faced technical challenges and have coped brilliantly. I would also like to thank all parents/carers for their continued support, which is much appreciated.
May I take this opportunity to wish you and yours an enjoyable summer.
Rachael Parvin (Head of Centre), May 2021
Follow us @CYMTaunton on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram
BOOKINGS NOW OPEN for the CYMT Summer Holiday Course 2021.
An action-packed week of fun workshops in music, drama and much more for all 10-18s. Cost: £295 for the week per student; early-bird discount of £25 if payment is made by end May 2021. Please apply online at cymtaunton.org.uk/application. Please call 07754 217993 for further information or email email@example.com.